Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Constraint vs Restraint

During my last post I stumbled on an interesting set of words when I was trying to express myself. I often like to think about words or phrases and how they create such different meanings and impressions.

Before I get to my "straints" there is a phrase exploration I found the other day and I will create my own example of it here. When telling a child that cleaning room=treat. There are a few phrase structures we could use two are presented below:

"If you clean your room, you will get 'a treat' "

"If you don't clean your room, you won't get 'a treat' "

What is the difference and how does each one make you feel or perceive the same basic message? The second form was used in a church setting not long ago and proved quite able to offend or concern those who heard it. The key is in the doubly (not double) negative second statement. I am not a psychologist, but I have a feeling this makes a huge difference. Well take a gander and think about it.

Back to my original idea (sorry this will be a long post, and this apology just made it longer for which I could apologize...) the differences between constraint and restraint con and re from her on.

Con: I would say often self imposed, this perspective would be like knowing there is an outside to the box, but not currently dealing with it.

Re: Imposed from the outside or perceived to come from the outside, the vision here would be more of I am inside a box and what can I do about it?, also you might not even be able to see an achievable outside

There are probably some comparisons to optimism and pessimism in these words and more depth to what I am trying to explain,but I am out of ime and I leave it to you to explore your perceptions.

Hagoda

Super Guy
(on the move)

4 comments:

staff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
superguy said...

Violent, but perhaps accurate comparison.

Amy said...

I was writing a paper for a criminology course and looking for a good description of the difference between constraint and restraint. Not only was I lucky enough to stumble upon your post, but you described the distinction perfectly -- thank you!

superguy said...

Been awhile since I posted this I am glad that it could be a useful commentary.