Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Transportation

In response to a comment stating that I ride "public" transportation I would like to say that it is true that being kind hearted and ecologically minded I do share my chauffer with a few select people, but I would not consider it "public". :D

Sorry couldn't resist. I counted last night and it looks like the busses I ride have seating for about 60 people however we seldom fill up the seats on the early bus and a few are taken down to fit a power chair in for one of our passengers.

These busses are pretty nice though they are similar to tour busses in how the seats are set up and how obnoxiously little the seats recline. I miss bus trips I hit a sentimental point in my thoughts sorry just a lot of good memories and times like they won't probably ever be again.

On a lighter note these busses and bus riding in general has been a fun experience it helps me feel like I am in some kind of big city while still living in the middle of nowhere. Well not the middle of nowhere Beryl was the middle of nowhere and at least we could get a tv signal out there. :D

I also like to remember all of the crazy bus jumping in Uruguay or taking busses for my transfers. They had some cool busses down there with nice recline and different types of foot rest possibilities. I had a couple of nice busses, but never did get to go on the infamous "coche cama" or "super cama" I think the first name was a type of bus and the second was a specific service if that is the case my best bus may have been the first, which means "bed bus" and the second "super bed" I know I never went on, it was an amazing aight to see though. Beautiful doubledecker touring bus that apparently the seats almost fully reclined giving you a bed to sleep from Rivera to Montevideo overnight.

I guess one last interesting thing about busses in Uruguay was the use of them to send mail. You could go to a courier company that worked with the bus companies or to the company itself and send a package from one city to another an they made use of the extra dead empty storage space to get the package in and on it's way. Awesome strategy and unique to locations with better mass transit than our good USA.

We live in an amazing world with all the different people and different ways of life. The United states is such a large country geographically compared to places like Uruguay and many European countries, when we think of taking a trip it might mean as far as Maine and we would still be in our county, but in Uruguay the farthest we would go was similar to a trip from Moab to Logan if even that far. It never ceases to intrigue me how geography makes such a huge difference in how we live.

Those are at least some of my thoughts for the day. Hagoda

Super Guy
(on the move)

2 comments:

Mom Hunt said...

That was a fun read this morning, I never really thought of busses before guess because only time I used one lots was in Bolivia.

Mellissa said...

The only bus I've ever ridden was a school bus. Big yellow sucker. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I agree that it is really interesting how geography makes such a difference in our lives, and how we really don't think about how it does.