Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Counterproductive Lameness and the way out

I would argue the point of an employer giving holiday gifts or
bonusses would be to bolster morale. Well my experience yesterday did
the exact opposite sending me home offended and more than a little
upset.

We were given a "variety" of gift choices by means of a wesite and a
vague list of possible gifts like:

30 music downloads, 3 DVDs, 2 magazine subscriptions, etc.

There was one in particular I wanted more info about and that was a
$100 gourmet rewards certificate. (whatever that means).

So I get my card that has the code on it. It Is a novel cars because
it is the size of a credit card, but made out of paper and has flower
seeds embedded in it so after you are done you can plant it. I grow to
the website on the card and the first thing that comes up is a survey.

This was a first warning that something was amiss, taking a survey
before completing a process made/makes absolutely no sense. It had
questions like, do you like this method of choosing your gift, how
would you rate the variety/selection of gifts available, or the
quality. Just talking about this is making me mad, because at this
point the only specifics I have seen is an offer for 2 Papa Johns
pizzas so I am supposed to rate a vague list of items before getting
to look at them, bad business and more than a little insulting.

Well I did the rating and under consultation with a coworker watching
I put the middle ground responses, I thought the idea was cool and
choosing your own gift was a cool option, little did I know is was all
going to fizzle.

My impressions as I looked at the choose a gift screen:

There was no option for a $100 gourmet rewards certificate, nor was
there an option for 2 papa johns pizzas.

Clicking on each section for more info we find for:
30 music downloads a site I have never heard of (not fond of messing
with something I have never heard of when mainstream sites would have
been a lot better option)

3 Dvds a list of pictures and names of movies that were probably all
released at least a year ago (at least) and most could probably be
found in the $5 dump bin. (my family will understand that one)

Magazines were considered only because of the dwindling list, 2 that
were mentioned by my coworker and I that might have been interesting
we not there Consumer Reports, or National Geographic, by such gems as
"Cats" and "Dogs" were present. (names are probably not exact, but
those were the main topics of these magazines).

3 movie tickets fromfandango.com this might have been worth something,
but we don't toto the movies all that often and I didn't want to
search for a participating theater. Can I just say as well, what am I
supposed to do with a third ticket? Go on a date with my wife and ...
What exactly? I mean come on....

150 photo prints, a gift I would most likely never use was what I
settled on since I had at least heard of snapfish.com so people can
talk to me and we can get photos for them if they want, my Christmas
gift to you from my loving, and ..., management.

There may have been other options that were equally disenchanting, but
I guess I got something someone can use and I will just walk away
remembering that this is turning into one of the dumbest Decembers
ever and I will be glad to get out of the Rat Race and settle down to
hopefully enjoy some of what this season is really about and not this
commercial farce that is staged every year. It is not about being
busy, or shopping, or decorations, or this ,or that, or the other. It
is not about superficial presents, or stress, or anxiety. In fact I
think we often live it in a way that is the antithesis of the angelic
message of "Peace on Earth" wouldn't it be wonderful and won't it be
on Christmas eve and Christmas day to slow down, and feel a little
peace before going back to the daily grind. The real gift was a baby
in Bethlehem that became a man on Calvary, that gave us a path to peace.

I am grateful to God right now for that gift and the peace I have for
remembering it in this ridiculous fiasco. I actually feel a whole lot
better remembering the point and not getting as lost in the world and
its silly experiences.

Super Guy
(on the move)

1 comment:

Mellissa said...

It's too bad they couldn't just give you a monetary bonus - then you'd be able to choose your own gift anyway. But it's great to hear you talk about why it's the Christmas season. Thanks for lifting my spirits.